Some ‘Shoot from the Hip’ Tips
Setting yourself up to create a successful brand takes a lot of hard work and clever thinking. Packaging design is a important piece of the puzzle. Some of the things that we have learnt:
- Do your research well and gain customer insights before you create and launch your brand and prepare to adapt quickly to these insights. Have a clear idea of your ideal customer and what problem you are solving for them. How are you making their lives better?
- Understand your brand as if it was a person. What is its personality? How does it speak? How does it act? How will customers feel after connecting with the brand? This helps to create brands with depth and leads to creating authentic pack design.
- Have a clear selling proposition that is appealing, credible and easy to communicate on the packaging. If this clearly shown on the pack it will help your product sell itself.
- Invest in outstanding design that will put you ahead of the competition from the start. An investment in good quality design will add immense value to what profit you can make from your brand in the long run.
- Carefully select the materials you are using as packaging, they have more impact than you might realise. How to do they feel to touch? What impact do they have on the environment? What do they say about the quality of your product? Do they have visual appeal on the shelf and in the home.
- Before you commit to printing large quantities, test all packaging materials for how they perform in the manufacturing, distribution, shelf and storage environments.
- Test your prototypes in the place where they will sell for stand-out appeal.
- Have all your compliance and essential info that must appear on the pack done well ahead of production.
- Allow long lead in times for production of packaging as this can take longer than you think.
- Expect that you will need to make alterations to your artwork for your second print run as most new products need to adjust the packaging artwork in some way when its time to reprint it.